The original item was published from July 6, 2017 4:35 PM to July 24, 2017 1:47 PM
The following press release was sent out to the media by White River National Forest on July 6, 2017 at approximately 4 p.m.
July 6, 2017
Contacts: Marcia Gilles, U.S. Forest Service, 970-827-5152
Courtney Whiteman, Bureau of Land Management, 303-239-3668
Additional Fire restrictions begin Friday, July 7 due to High Fire Danger
Silt, Colo. - Stage 1 fire restrictions begin at 12:01 a.m. Friday, July 7 for the White River National Forest, Bureau of Land Management-administered lands, unincorporated and private lands in Summit, Eagle and Rio Blanco counties. Stage 1 fire restrictions are already in effect in Mesa, Garfield, and Pitkin counties.
Fire managers base decisions about fire restrictions on specific moisture measurements in vegetation and other risk factors such as predicted weather and amount of current fire activity.
The BLM, White River National Forest, and Summit, Eagle and Rio Blanco County Sheriff’s Offices will be enforcing the following temporary restrictions:
• Campfires are only allowed within designated fire grates in developed campgrounds (i.e., a metal, in-ground containment structure -- fire pans and rock campfire rings are not acceptable).
• No fires of any type, including charcoal, outside of developed areas.
• No smoking except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or in a barren area free of vegetation.
• No use of explosive materials, including explosive targets.
• No welding or operation of an acetylene or other similar torch with open flame except from an area that has been cleared of vegetation.
• No operation of any internal combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly installed and in working order.
Fireworks are always prohibited on BLM, National Forest and National Park Service lands.
Fire restrictions on these lands will be in place until further notice. Those found responsible for starting wildfires will also face restitution costs of suppressing the fire.
For more information about fire restrictions in these areas, go to: https://gacc.nifc.gov/rmcc/dispatch_centers/r2gjc/fireinfo_restrictions/index.html