Summit County Building Permits
Permits are required for all new construction, alterations, and remodels. Every project is unique, so there is no standard group of permits required. Below is a list of commonly required permits that may be applicable to your project.
- Building Permit - A building permit authorizes construction of the foundation system, framing and carpentry of the overall building, and exterior and interior finish work. Decks and guard replacements require building permits. Building Permit Application, Building Permit Application Writable PDF
- Mobile Home Permit - Mobile Home installers are responsible for assuring that all code requirements are met. A permit is required prior to delivery and installation of a to an approved location. Mobile Home Permit.
- Hot tub Permit - This is required for the installation of a stand-alone hot tub not associated with an existing building permit. An electrical permit is also required. See hot tub installation requirements for residential property and hot tub installation-commercial for commercial property.
- Window Permit - This is required for the replacement of windows, not associated with an existing building permit. No plans required if window replacement is like for like and
non structural. Plan review is required for commercial window replacement.
Some technical permits require plan review. Contact the Building Inspection Department to determine whether
- Plumbing Permit: A plumbing permit authorizes installation of drain, waste and vent piping; potable water piping; fuel gas piping; and plumbing appliances and fixtures.
- Mechanical Permit: A mechanical permit authorizes installation of furnaces and ducts, boilers and circulation piping, and exhaust fans and ducts.
- Fireplace Permit: This permit is required for the installation of a gas fireplace, wood stove or outdoor fire pit. Get info on approved wood-burning devices.
- Electrical Permit: An electrical permit authorizes installation of wiring, receptacles, switches, light fixtures, electrical equipment, fixed-in-place appliances and connection of these systems to utility service. This permit application is to be used for AC Photovoltaic Permits.
- Temporary Power: A separate electrical construction meter permit is required if a temporary electrical service will be installed during construction.
- Photovoltaic - AC/DC: These permits are required for photovoltaic (solar) systems. A Plan review is required for PV DC permits, and the AC electrical permit is issued over the counter. Get info on PV systems requirements, PV Permit Application, PV Permit Application Writable PDF, PV Submittal Requirements, the PV Checklist.
Policies and Requirements
Listed below are commonly referenced policies and requirements that may pertain to your project.
- Summit County's 2018 Code Amendments (pdf) for the 2018 International Code Council (ICC) series.
- Energy Efficiency of Boiler and Furnace Replacements (pdf)
- Gas-Fired Appliances - Plastic Venting Material Policy (pdf)
- Laundries in Multi-Family Residences (pdf)
- Carbon Monoxide Detectors (pdf) and Carbon Monoxide Safety Act (pdf)
- Definition of a Potential Sleeping Room (pdf)
- Propane to Natural Gas Conversion Policy (pdf)
- Mobile Home Installation Requirements (pdf)
- General Information on Asbestos
- Building Drain (SDR 35) Handout
- Photovoltaic Systems Requirements