Short-Term Rental Regulations
Summit County, Colorado, regulates short-term vacation rentals to address neighborhood impacts and life safety issues. Summit County's regulations for short-term vacation rentals (STRs) are applicable to properties within the unincorporated areas of Summit County.
Summit County defines an STR as a residential dwelling unit, or any room therein that is rented for periods of less than 30 consecutive days. At this time, there are no limitations on the number of STR units licensed within the unincorporated areas of Summit County.
Below, you'll find information on operating an STR in unincorporated Summit County.
Here are some helpful shortcuts referenced in the STR Regulations:
- Summit County STR Ordinance and Code Section 3821: Short-Term Rental Regulations (pdf)
- Summit County Development Code, Chapter 3 (pdf)
- Code Section 3803: Bed & Breakfasts (starting on p. 116)
- Code Section 3700: Parking Requirements (starting on p. 102)
- Section 3505.07 Lighting Regulations (starting on p. 35)
- Figure 3-2: Land Use Matrix (pdf)
- Good Neighbor Guidelines (pdf)
- Definitions (pdf): Loft as a sleeping room, lock-off room, floor area
- CRS 38-45-104: Carbon monoxide alarms in rental properties (starting on p. 555)
- Summit County Building Requirements for a Loft (pdf) (as a sleeping room, p. 7)
- Section 6 CCR 1010-14: Sanitary Standards and Rules for Public Accommodations
- Section 5CCR 1003-5: Swimming Pools and Mineral Baths
- Section 5CCR 100-11: Primary Drinking Water Regulation
- CRS 30-28-124: Penalties (starting on p. 368)
- Sales tax regulations
- Short Term Rental Building Permit Checklist
- STR Acknowledgements Page
- STR Acknowledgment for Renewals Only
- Summit County Noise Ordinance
STR Responsible Agents
The Responsible Agent (RA) is the main point of contact for your short-term rental unit. If an issue pertaining to your STR is reported, the Responsible Agent will be contacted, and he or she will have 60 minutes to respond with a plan for resolving the issue. The Responsible Agent is required to be available to respond to issues 24/7 and must have a text-enabled phone.
An STR license holder can serve as the Responsible Agent for the STR unit, but only if they can commit to being available to respond to issues 24/7.
To change the responsible agent on your STR license, click on the button, "Update Responsible Agent Information" in the Host Compliance Portal.
Good Neighbor Guidelines
The Good Neighbor Guidelines are a code of ethics that visitors should follow to avoid negative impacts on the community. The document contains guidance on topics such as parking, wildfire prevention, respecting wildlife, waste disposal, noise and outdoor lighting.
STR license holders are required to provide these guidelines to renters along with the rental contract and must be posted in a prominent location inside your rental unit so that visitors will see them. Download the Good Neighbor Guidelines (pdf).
We have also developed a one-page fact sheet that provides guidance on COVID-19 in Summit County. We encourage you to share it with your guests. Download the fact sheet (pdf).
Accessory Apartment/Lock-Off Unit
When an accessory apartment or lock-off unit is established on a parcel, either the unit or the primary residence shall be restricted to long term rental (6 months or longer) to persons employed within Summit County a minimum of 30 hours per week. Accessory apartments are ONLY permitted as a means to increase the supply of local resident workforce housing. Short term rental of the restricted unit is strictly prohibited.
All accessory apartments need to submit a Class 2 Administrative Review Application. All permits issued for an accessory apartment shall include the requirement that the property owner record a covenant restricting the use and occupancy of the property. Creation or use of one of these units without the required permits is a violation of Summit County Building and Zoning Codes.
For more information on Accessory Apartments, download Code Section 3809.03 or contact the Planning Department at (970) 668-4200