Marriage Licensing

Mask Mandate 8.16.21

October 2021: Appointments for Marriage License applications are now required.  We only accept calls for appointments up to 2 weeks into the future.

Summit County residents: there is no appointment requirement to apply for a Marriage License.  Simply read the webpage below and visit our office during business hours.

Colorado residents outside Summit: please contact your home County Clerk & Recorder for a Marriage License.  Colorado Marriage Licenses are usable anywhere in Colorado, and you'll return the License to be recorded in your home County.

Please read this webpage entirely before contacting County staff with questions and to make an appointment.

Rest assured the website is the most updated operations at the Summit County Clerk & Recorder.

​Timing Your Application - Expect Delays in Processing Times on Mondays & Fridays

  • Appointments are required and limited each day (see below how to request an appointment)
  • Appointment slots are available at a cap of three per day, 9:00am-4:00pm, Mondays-Fridays, except observed holidays
  • There is no waiting period or testing in the State of Colorado for Marriage Licenses
  • Couples may apply within 35 days of their ceremony, no earlier
  • Licenses are issued same day
  • Colorado Marriage Licenses are only valid for ceremonies that take place in Colorado.  Got your Marriage License in another State or country?  Contact issuing State outside of Colorado to check if it's OK to use in Colorado.
  • Application visits in the office generally take about 20 minutes, with exception of midday lunch hour time periods in the Summer, and on Monday mornings and Friday afternoons.  Expect delays during those times.  We may have to ask the couple to return later in the day for staff to process the application during these times.

​Requirements: Residency, ID, Age

  • There are no residency requirements of any kind to obtain a Marriage License in Summit County
  • The License and Certificate are on the same piece of paper, obtained at the same time when you come in
  • We ask Colorado residents to contact their home County Clerk & Recorder first for a Marriage License before applying in Summit County.  CLICK HERE for a complete list of Colorado Clerk & Recorders that can assist you.
  • Both parties must be present at the time of application
  • If either party is under 18, contact us in advance of visiting our office for additional required documentation
  • Both parties to the marriage must furnish one form of valid, photo identification (e.g. Drivers License, Passport) upon arrival.  We do not need a Birth Certificate or anything in addition to your photo identification, unless you have rare/special circumstances and have spoken with Clerk staff prior to visiting the office to apply.

​How to Make an Appointment & Apply

  • Applications are accepted in person only, no remote or advance applications can be processed.
  • The small Clerk & Recorder office cannot accommodate anyone other than the two applying parties to the marriage (children and ADA assistance is of course excepted from this rule).
  • Appointments are required.  After reading through this webpage entirely, call 970-453-3470 for an appointment.
  • Appointments are restricted to 3 available spots per day.
  • Apply in person during your previously scheduled appointment
  • There is only one office location in Breckenridge - Summit County Clerk & Recorder
  • Fill out and print the Marriage License Application ahead of time.
  • Filling out the PDF doesn't send the Clerk & Recorder an online application - you must print and bring with you to apply in person.
  • You may fill out the application in person when you arrive.  Open the Application PDF to view questions to be prepared.
  • No SSN?  No problem.  If one or both parties does not have a Social Security Number, please fill out, print, and bring with you this No SSN Affidavit with application (one per person).  We have them available in the office as well.
  • Cost is $30 for the License, we will automatically charge couples for 3 certified copies (additional $3 each)
  • Physical Address: 208 Lincoln Avenue  Breckenridge, CO  80424 "Floor 2"

Types of Solemnization

  • Self-Solemnization: no Officiant, no Judge, just the Parties to the Marriage solemnizing their own Marriage Certificate 
  • Religious: couples select someone from a denomination of their choosing to officiate the ceremony and sign the Certificate.  The Clerk & Recorder does not provide Officiants on site, couples must make their own arrangements.  Find a list of known local Officiants under "Officiants HQ" below.
  • Civil: usually a Justice of the Peace, Magistrate, Judge or Retired Judge of the couple's choosing will officiate the ceremony and sign the Certificate.  The Clerk & Recorder does not provide Officiants on site, couples must make their own arrangements with the Courts or Officiant of their choosing.

2021 Holiday Office Closures

  • Election Day COORDINATED - November 2
  • Veterans' Day - November 11
  • Thanksgiving - November 25 & 26
  • Christmas Eve OBSERVED - December 23
  • Christmas Day OBSERVED - December 24
  • New Year's Day OBSERVED - December 31

2022 Holiday Office Closures

  • Memorial Day - May 30
  • Election Day PRIMARY - June 28
  • Independence Day - July 4
  • Labor Day - September 5
  • Election Day GENERAL - November 8
  • Veterans' Day - November 11
  • Thanksgiving - November 24 & 25
  • Christmas Eve OBSERVED - December 23
  • Christmas Day OBSERVED - December 26
  • This is the list of local, Summit County-based Officiants who have contacted our office offering their services.  Inquire with each person/company about pricing and availability.  Summit County Government does not make recommendations or promote any business over another, and this list is for courtesy contact information only.
  • The Clerk's Office does not need any paperwork or communication from Officiants performing ceremonies in Summit County.  Officiants can be ordained from their organization of choice.

Civil Unions

  • Simply visit our office during business hours to apply for a Civil Union License.  The Application process and cost is the same as a traditional Marriage License.

Still have Questions?  We're Here to Help!

Couple Hiking