Animal Shelter Volunteer Program
We have two types of Volunteers:
To become a Regular shelter volunteer:
- Be at least 14 years of age.
- If you under 14 years old, a parent or guardian must attend training and accompany the child when volunteering.
- Complete a Volunteer Application (pdf). If under 14 the parent fills out the application for themselves noting the child's name in the appropriate section. If under 18 years old parent must sign the application as well.
- Complete a Volunteer Waiver form (pdf) Parent must sign if under 18 years of age. Pick up at the front desk.
- Attend an orientation / training session. This will cover basic information about the shelter, dog and cat interaction and safety. We no longer have separate training classes for dogs and cats. Upon completion of training, you are welcome to begin coming to the shelter and volunteering your time. Class lasts for approximately 2 hours.
This program is directed towards teens who do not want to be regular long term volunteers, but rather need hours to meet service requirements for programs they are participating in. We offer two hour shifts that can be signed up for at the shelter. These shifts mainly focus on cleaning. There will be no direct contact with animals (i.e. dog walking, cat socialization).
Please review the rules on the form below and sign the waiver that follows. The form must be signed by both the participant and parent / guardian. You need to provide the signed form prior to or on your first shift. You will NOT be allowed to volunteer without a signed form. Should violations of the rules occur or if you sign up and then do not show up, you will not be eligible for the program.
Teen Community Service
Direct questions to the volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-668-4197.
SIGNING UP FOR CLASS:
To sign up online, search SCASVOL for a link to our volunteer website and sign-up. This is preferable. You may also email the volunteer coordinator with your desired date at email@example.com. You can also call 970-668-3230 or stop by the shelter and speak to the staff about signing up. Please do not drop by day of class.
Bring the completed app / waiver to class. If you need to fill out the forms, please arrive 20 minutes early to complete, otherwise arrive 10 minutes early in order to check in prior to class.
CLASS IS HELD IN OUR RAINBOW ROOM WHICH WE ALLOW CATS TO ROAM FREELY IN, EVEN DURING OUR TRAINING SESSION.
The following are the dates for the upcoming Volunteer Orientation Classes:
All classes start at 10:00 am and will last approximately until 12:00 pm.
Nov.: Saturday the 9th / Wednesday the 13th
Dec: Saturday the 7th / Wednesday the 11th
Jan: Wednesday the 8th / Saturday the 11th
Feb: Wednesday the 5th / Saturday the 8th
Please bring a photo ID if you are 18 or older.
*If you have signed up and are unable to attend, use the online system to cancel or change classes. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 970-668-4197 and leave a message.
*Please wear appropriate clothing for being at the shelter and for walking dogs outside.
THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST IN HELPING OUR ANIMALS!